Saturday, October 8, 2011

Welcome to the real world.

(Here's a really old post that I never put up, but I am now because it still applies. Except that Cohen has been potty trained for over a year now and yet I find myself still changing diapers but for our third now.)

"What am I doing with my life?" This is something that I've asked myself a lot in the past few years. What I really mean by this question is what will I be when I grow up?. The funny thing is I came to a realization ... I am a grown up. At times in my life I have felt a great need to... well be great, or do something great. Once upon a time I was going to be a model, HA. Then another time I was going to be an actress, HA HA. Then I decided I was going to college and I was going into politics to be an ambassador. Then I worked for a politician. So I decided that I would be a sociologist and when people asked me what sociologists do I would fumble over my words and finally say "study sociology?". So then 2 semesters before graduating I switched my major to Psychology. AH HA. This was right. So I earned a piece of paper that says I know a lot about psychology, yay! So now what?
Everyday I wake up to change a poopy diaper, distribute breakfast rations and then proceed to do the things that day requires of my children, my husband and my house. Sometimes I play Bunco and very occasionally I win a prize. Sometimes I go to a Zumba class which I am in no way fantastic at. I go running 4 times a week. I do absurd amounts of laundry. Blah, blah blah, blah blah. You get the picture.
From reading this you might think that I am complaining but here's where you're wrong. I actually quite love my life. The other day as I was doing dishes I came to an epiphany. I love my extremely normal life. Is that weird? I love that I have a husband that pretends to be a bridge so that my kids can safely cross the pretend lava. I absolutely love that on rare occasions instead of screaming and flailing during poo diaper changes my son sits still and actually genuinely makes me laugh. I love that the other day my daughter saw a picture of Jesus Christ and said "That's Jesus, he died for me".

No comments:

Post a Comment